Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Marginalization of Christmas ??



So, I am taking on this topic today because it digs at me so sharply I could turn into the ghost of Christmas past. Not the Grinch mind you, no, a Christmas terrorist spreading the Merry Christmas mantra across the world with reckless abandon. As many of you may know I sell to the retail world. So, I spend a great deal of time during the 4th quarter going to stores to check on ads, competition and the like. I have been very disappointed the past few years to find a horrific tectonic shift taking place out there. Retailers have been using 'Holiday' instead of 'Christmas' in their stores and in their ads. Come on, really? Now in my mind this is as ridiculous as removing, "under God", as in,

"One nation under God"

from the Pledge of Allegiance. But I won't skip down that road today. We will leave that for another piss and vinegar session. I dare you to go into 5 stores of your choice; may they be Banana Republic, Target or Macy's or any others and just buy a candy bar. Then wish the cashier "Merry Christmas" and see if you get the same response in return. Sadly, I can tell you that you will not, at least half of the time. That to me is just plain sacrilege. Someone says something nice to you, should you not reply in the like? That is just the tip of the iceberg for me. Most stores do not even use or reference Christmas in their ads and/or on their in-store signage. Basically "Marginalizing Christmas."

Now I know we each have the right to our belief systems and all, but Christmas is about family, the birth of Christ, and giving. No time in the history of our lives do we need the feel good magical embrace of the CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY like we do now with the state of our country's economy. Christmas is not some unspecified winter Holiday. The Christmas tree is not the holiday tree for God's sake. Even the Hanukkah bush is not a Holiday bush. (see, I can play nice in the sand box.)

We need to take back Christmas!!!!!. Say "Merry Christmas" to everyone you encounter, and if they don't like it, well too freaking bad. Their souls must be frozen and they shall get coal. Put decorations up, watch "The Christmas Story" for good family laughs. Reach out to a long lost friend or family member. Even though times are tough, give whenever you can even if it is just from your heart. Remember the pay it forward principle. Embrace the true meaning of Christmas. LOVE.

Merry Christmas to all.

Oh yeah, Santa please don't forget my bottle of Macallan (Glenlivet) Scotch 21 Yr. 86


2 comments:

Jay @halftime lessons said...

And Merry Christmas to you, pal!

I tend to rattle back and forth between Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays myself...and the times I do it are deliberate...like when I am at work, and I know other people celebrate things that I dont, I simply want to wish them well during THEIR time of year as well as my own...my saying Happy Holiday to someone is simply saying, I hope you enjoy this time of year and whatever you believe!

That being said, what drives me frickin nuts is when companies start saying Happy Holidays because they are scared they will OFFEND someone...

If someone tells me Feliz Navidad, why the f*ck would I be offended by that? They were just trying to say the same thing that I say to a non-Christian when I say Merry Christmas!!

Anyway...today it looks like I am your co-ranter!!

Great post,
J

Deb said...

LOVE the christmas story. so do my boys. great movie!